Foster Grandparent Program
Life experience matters.
That’s why SDC is asking adults 55 and older to share their experience with a child.
Our Foster Grandparent Program pairs volunteers with young students – pre-school through sixth grade. Volunteers tutor students in math and reading. The relationship that blossoms also helps young students develop self-confidence for life.
We are always in need of foster grandparents. Discover more about the program and apply today!
Senior Benefits Program
Age has its benefits.
And programs like Senior Care and Medicare Savings are some of are one of them. At SDC, we enroll seniors that meet age and income requirements in money saving programs including Medicare, FoodShare and Senior Care.
We understand that seniors live on a limited income and that can make it difficult to afford some of the things you need. This includes medication. The Senior Benefits program helps qualifying seniors save money on expenses including premiums for Medicare Part B.
The FoodShare program helps to pay for groceries. Keep in mind, many of these programs require that applicants meet Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Senior Companion Program
The Social Development Commission has a long tradition of working to enrich the lives of senior citizens. In 1974, we started the Senior Companion program because as we age, we may need a little extra help.
Like a good friend, a senior companion provides that extra assistance.
SDC Senior Companions Help Their Elderly Neighbors by Providing:
- Escorts on walks, shopping trips, and medical appointments
- Information on other services
- Help with household services
- At least 55 years of age
- Unemployed or retired
- Interested in helping people
Benefits Seniors Companions receive:
- A tax-free income that does not affect other benefits such as SSI, Medicaid or rent
- Reimbursement for mileage and/or bus fare
- The chance to make new friends
- The satisfaction of helping others
Paid Training Includes:
- An orientation course to give you the tools you need to get the most out of your experience
- Monthly In-Service sessions to help you learn about resources, programs, and health tips for the elderly
For more information about our Senior Programs at SDC, please call 414.906.2700 or complete the form below.
SDC does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of a
person’s sex, race, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or disability.