Youth Food Program

Meeting the nutritional needs of children throughout Milwaukee County at no cost!

Did you know the Social Development Commission (SDC)’s Youth Food Program provides infant formula, cereal and baby food to Head Start and daycare centers in Milwaukee County? Do you know a child who attends an after-school program? SDC probably provides their meals too.

For a reasonable cost, we also serve meals to private schools and programs.

Are you interested in becoming a part of the Youth Food Program?
Daycare centers or after-school programs interested in becoming a site may contact the site relations coordinator at 414.963.2682.


In 1970, SDC’s Youth Food Program began serving lunch and dinner to children in need. Our goal was simple – contribute to the growth and development of Milwaukee County’s children by providing meals to satisfy basic nutritional needs.

As the number of hungry children grew, so did we.

Today, we prepare about 5,000 meals daily.

We serve 85 sites.

We provide 1.3 million meals annually.

We serve over 5,000 children, from infant to 18 years of age.

How the Youth Food Program Operates

General guidelines for participation:

During the school year, meals are served daily at daycare centers, tutorial programs and after-school recreation centers. Children (up to 18 years of age) must be enrolled in a program to participate.

  • After-school centers must be non-profit and county-certified or state-licensed.
  • Daycare centers may be profit or non-profit.

Food service monitors visit sites to ensure that the centers adhere to program rules and regulations.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement with Complaint Filing Procedure (Revised December)

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)  Mail:  U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax:    (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

CR-Social Development Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Service Provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. If you need this information interpreted to a language you understand or in a different format, please contact La Toya Jones, Equal Opportunity Officer, at 414-906-2823 or Callers who are deaf or hearing or speech-impaired may reach us at Wisconsin Relay Number 711.

SDC-Main Office
1730 West North Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53205

6850 North Teutonia Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53209

9155 North 76th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53223

2968 South Chase Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53207

Translate »