Wisconsin Help for Homeowners
Wisconsin Help for Homeowners (WHH) is a new statewide program that can help with overdue bills like mortgage payments, property taxes, utilities, and more. The program is open to individuals and families who live in Wisconsin with overdue housing-related bills, both with and without a mortgage, who meet income and other eligibility requirements, and have experienced a qualified economic hardship since January 21, 2020.
Homeownership is an important tool to building wealth. As we help local families recover from the pandemic, the Social Development Commission (SDC) believes providing households with assistance is essential. Below you will find the eligibility requirements to receive help with housing costs and how you can apply.
Up to $40,000 per household may be available to help with overdue housing bills.
Who can apply?
- If you are a Wisconsin homeowner living in a:
- You have been financially impacted since January 21, 2020.
- Your household income is at or below 100% of the county median. Check your income here!
How to apply and get more information:
- Fill out and submit an online application via the Neighborly application portal. (Language options available for English, Spanish, Hmong, and Somali)
- Call 1-855-2-HOME-WI to get additional information or find out how to apply in person.
- For additional information or assistance, or questions about your application, please reach out to your regional program contact.
The Department of Administration, Division of Energy, Housing, and Community Resources (DEHCR) is administering the Wisconsin Help for Homeowners program, with funding from the Homeowners Assistance Fund established under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
The WHH program provides housing grants to owner-occupied households who have experienced a financial hardship since January 21, 2020, based on income level.
Financial hardship is defined as:
- A material reduction in income or material increase in living expenses associated with the coronavirus pandemic that has created or increased a risk of mortgage delinquency, mortgage default, foreclosure, loss of utilities or home energy services, or displacement for a homeowner.
Eligible types of expenses under this program may include but are not limited to:
- mortgage and interest payments
- real estate taxes
- condominium, association and lot fees
The property must be the owner’s primary residence. Vacation homes, rentals, cabins, and second homes are ineligible for assistance through WHH.
Mortgage Servicers, utility providers, and service providers of eligible program expenses who are interested in participating in the program should review the Vendor Information FAQ and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a participation packet.
The final state program plan approved by the U.S. Treasury is available here.
Two public hearings were held during the initial program review period. View the recording here.
I don’t have any questions nor concerns. I appreciate your help and professionalism. God Bless you for helping me in this difficult process.
We are here to help those individuals and families find their pathway to success. We encourage you to check out some of our other services that may help you find your path, especially during these troubling times.
CR-Social Development Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Service Provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. If you need this information interpreted to a language you understand or in a different format, please contact Jennifer Harris, Equal Opportunity Officer, at 414-906-2784 or email@example.com. Callers who are deaf or hearing or speech-impaired may reach us at Wisconsin Relay Number 711.
1730 West North Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53205
9155 North 76th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53223
9004 West Lincoln Avenue
West Allis, WI 53227
6850 North Teutonia Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53209
Connect With Us