VITA Tax Program
SDC Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Free Tax Preparation
Become a Volunteer at a VITA Tax Site
The Social Development Commission (SDC) is recruiting volunteers to assist in providing free tax services to members of the community who need it the most.
SDC’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation services to households who generally in 2020 made an annual income of $60,000 or less – persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Over the last two decades, SDC’s VITA volunteers prepared more than 223,102 federal and state tax returns at no cost to families, putting much needed money back into the pockets of tax filers.
Each year, our incredible volunteers help make the SDC VITA Free Tax Preparation program possible and successful. As a volunteer, you will work with incredible people and get hands-on experience with tax preparation and customer service assisting individuals and families in filing their taxes. You’ll be making a positive impact, helping thousands of local residents become more financially stable and self-sufficient.
Here are five good reasons why you should consider becoming a VITA volunteer.
- Flexible hours. Volunteers generally serve an average of three to five hours per week. The program is usually open from mid-January through the tax filing deadline in April. A few sites are open year-round.
- VITA sites are often nearby and need your help. Sites are set up in various neighborhoods throughout Milwaukee County. They are often set up in community centers, schools, community/faith-based organizations, and other similar places. Chances are good that you may find a VITA site near you.
- No prior experience needed. You’ll receive specialized training and can serve in a variety of roles. If you are fluent in another language, you may be able to help those who speak that language.
- Free tax law training and materials. Learn from licensed and experienced instructors about how to prepare basic tax returns and all the latest tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers.
- Continuing education credits (CEUs) for tax pros. Enrolled Agents and non-credentialed tax return preparers can earn credits when volunteering as a VITA instructor, quality reviewer or tax return preparer. See the IRS fact sheet for more information on CEUs.
General Requirements and Skills Needed:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Strong customer service skills
- Friendly, dependable, flexible and a team player
- A commitment of a minimum of 30 hours during tax season (January – mid-April)
- Bilingual helpful, but not required
- Hotline Representative
- Client Intake Specialist
- Tax Preparer
- Tax Preparation Site Coordinator
Volunteers receive free accredited training, help customers begin to build financial assets, and are part of a program that impacts thousands of households every year. Join us in making 2021 an outstanding and successful tax season by volunteering for VITA and making a difference in your community.
In addition to completing the VITA Volunteer Application, you MUST complete and submit the Background Information Disclosure in a timely manner as required by the Internal Revenue Service. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, training will be a guided self-study. Once approved, you will be contacted to set up the guided self-study training through the certification process.
Please note, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all tax sites require face coverings and social distancing is practiced. Customer drop-off and pick-up methods are in place to minimize customer contact.
CR-Social Development Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Service Provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. If you need this information interpreted to a language you understand or in a different format, please contact La Toya Jones, Equal Opportunity Officer, at 414-906-2823 or email@example.com.. Callers who are deaf or hearing or speech-impaired may reach us at Wisconsin Relay Number 711.
1730 West North Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53205
6850 North Teutonia Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53209
9155 North 76th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53223
2968 South Chase Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53207
Connect With Us