VITA Tax Program
Volunteer for VITA (Tax Program)
Volunteer Opportunities for VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program)
The Social Development Commission is recruiting for volunteers to assist in providing free tax services to members of the community who need it the most.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Over the past 16 years, SDC VITA volunteers prepared more than 188,000 federal and state tax returns at no cost to families putting much needed money back into their pockets. You can help residents maximize their tax returns by avoiding refund anticipation loans and high tax preparation fees.
Here are five good reasons why you should consider becoming a VITA volunteer.
- Flexible hours. Volunteers generally serve an average of three to five hours per week. The program is e usually open from mid-January through the tax filing deadline in April. A few sites are open all year.
- VITA sites are often nearby and need your help. Sites are set up in neighborhoods over Milwaukee County for this past filing season. They are often set up in community centers, schools, community/faith-based organizations, and similar places. Chances are good that you can volunteer at a site near you.
- No prior experience needed. You’ll receive specialized training and can serve in a variety of roles. If you are fluent in another language, you may be able to help those who speak that language.
- Free tax law training and materials. Learn how to prepare basic tax returns and learn about all the tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers.
- Continuing education credits for tax pros. Enrolled Agents and non-credentialed tax return preparers can earn credits when volunteering as a VITA instructor, quality reviewer or tax return preparer. See the IRS fact sheet for more information on Continuing Education Credits.
General Skills Needed:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old
- Strong customer service skills
- Friendly, dependable, flexible and a team player
- A commitment of a minimum of 30 hours during tax season
- Bilingual helpful, but not required
- Hotline Representative
- Client Intake Specialist
- Tax Preparer
- Tax Preparation Site Coordinator
Volunteers receive free accreditated training, help people begin to build financial assets, and are apart of a program that helps thousands of households every year. Join us in making 2018 an outstanding success by volunteering for the program and making a difference in your community.
Volunteers must attend mandatory Tax Preparation Training. Upcoming training dates will be provided upon approval of your application.
In addition to completing the Volunteer Interest Form included in the volunteer description, you MUST complete and submit the Background Information Disclosure as required by the Internal Revenue Service.
CR-Social Development Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Service Provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. If you need this information interpreted to a language you understand or in a different format, please contact La Toya Jones, Equal Opportunity Officer, at 414-906-2823 or email@example.com. Callers who are deaf or hearing or speech-impaired may reach us at Wisconsin Relay Number 711.