Neighborhood Improvement Project
Working Together to Improve Our Community
Home maintenance, building code violations or lead safety issues can be expensive. Our Neighborhood Improvement Project program (NIP) can help.
SDC’s Neighborhood Improvement Project (NIP) Program serves income-eligible, homeowner occupied, City of Milwaukee Community Development Block Grant Area families.
In order to maximize the impact of this program, most clients come from lists of households eligible for state and local Energy Assistance program services or City of Milwaukee Weatherization program services.
SDC hires and coordinates building subcontractors who provide moderate home rehabilitations in such areas as electrical or plumbing systems, carpentry, masonry work, etc. Households receiving these home improvements are also offered the full range of other SDC services.
Partial Eligibility Requirements:
- Owned and occupied their property for a minimum of five years.
- Property must be a single or two family unit located in the City of Milwaukee Community Development Block Grant Area.
- Homeowner must be current on property taxes or current with installments.
- Must be current on mortgage and utility payments.
- Must be current on homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Have not filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy in the last six months or have had a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged less than a year ago.
- Cannot own more than one property.
- Have not had home repair assistance through any other City-Funded Program.
- Cannot have a daycare or any other home-based business operating within the residence.
For more information and additional requirements contact: Bob Falk at 414.906.2815
For other housing resources, please view the City of Milwaukee Housing Resource Guide.
NIP Inquiry Form
SDC does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of a
person’s sex, race, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or disability.