My Free Taxes



Did you know you can file a FREE federal and state tax return
if you earned $66,000 or less in 2017?


Please note, Homestead Schedule H cannot be filed through the site.


There’s a significant demand for free tax preparation by volunteers, but not enough volunteers to accommodate the demand. MyFreeTaxes is an easy, safe, and free way to file your taxes online. IRS has partnered with United Way and H&R Block to allow taxpayers that earned income less than $66,000 to file for free using a self-guided method. MyFreeTaxes uses H&R Block’s premium product. A taxpayer can file one federal and up to three state returns in one year. This service is offered in English Only at this time. Watch this quick video to learn what it takes to provide FREE tax prep for individuals, click here

United Way promotes MyFreeTaxes to help support the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community, and maximizing your tax refund is a key step towards that goal. MyFreeTaxes is one provider of Facilitated Self Assistance, in which a self-filer can complete their own tax return with access to help from someone via the MyFreeTaxes Helpline by phone, chat, or email. Filers can import data from TurboTax, TaxAct or from any other provider by uploading a pdf. It is a great option to offer users to make their filing process easier.

Log into and click the “File for Free” button, to avoid being charged. MyFreeTaxes uses simple tax preparation software from H&R Block. Once you begin your free filing, the software will guide you to identify tax credits and deductions you may be eligible for.

To e-file your 2017 tax return, you must:

  • Have made 66,000 or less in 2017
  • File between January - October 18, 2018
  • No age or other eligibility restrictions
  • Verify your identity using your Self-Selected PIN or Adjusted Gross Income from your 2016 tax return.

The following steps will guide you through the process.

Step 1: Gather your documents

Step 2: Collect information for everyone in your household

Step 3: Gather additional items to get a larger refund

Step 4: File your taxes for free through

Step 5: Keep copies of your forms and tax statements


For Electronic Filing PIN assistance the click the IRS logo.


For Electronic Filing assistance the click the IRS logo. You may file electronically on or before October 17, 2017.


Start filing my taxes using



NOTE: Filing through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is only available January 22 - April 18, 2018.
In-person filing may be done at a location operated by SDC. Please click here for the locations and hours operated by SDC.



SDC does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of a
person’s sex, race, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or disability.

Copyright © 2016 Social Development Commission • 1730 West North Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53205 • 414 • 906 • 2700