What is Weatherization?
Weatherization is a service provided at no cost to the tenant or owner of a home if qualified. Basic weatherization services can:
- Reduce your home heating bills.
- Save energy.
- Make your home more comfortable: warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Some of the services could include:
- Insulation of walls and attics
- Air sealing
- Install energy efficient compact flourescent bulbs
- Test, repair or replace furnaces and water heaters
- Replace inefficient refrigerators with Energy Star units
- Perform a general health and safety inspection of the home
- Provide information about maintenance and energy conservation
How do I qualify?
- Applying for Energy Assistance is the first step in determining your eligibility.
- Schedule an appointment with Community Advocates or UMOS (414.270.4653)
- Visit Community Advocates at 4906 W. Fond du Lac Avenue or 728 N. James Lovell Street; or UMOS at 2701 South Chase Avenue
- Your house or apartment (up to 4 units) has not been weatherized before.
- 50% of the building’s tenants must qualify for Energy Assistance (Example: A 4-unit building would need two tenants to qualify for the program).
- Your household meets certain priorities that may include a high energy burden or use, an elderly or disabled member or a child under six.
- If you qualify, you will be referred to either SDC’s Weatherization Program, La Casa Esperanza's or Partners for Community Development's Weatherization Program.
- Contact SDC’s Weatherization Program at 414.906.2727 or email us at email@example.com to request an application from.
What happens next?
- If you are qualified, the assigned program will mail you an application.
- To get started, complete the application and mail it back in the enclosed envelope.
Download Information Flyer
If you are interested in finding out if you qualify, please contact us:
“I would never have been able to afford the work that was done on my property by the Weatherization Program. This was truly a blessing to me."
~ Karin, Weatherization Program participant
SDC does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of a
person’s sex, race, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or disability.