Learn more about NIP
Many low-income homeowners cannot afford to maintain their homes, repair building code violations or address building health or safety issues.
SDC’s Neighborhood Improvement Project (NIP) Program serves income-eligible, homeowner occupied, City of Milwaukee Community Development Block Grant Area resident families needing significant home improvement as evidenced by municipal building code violations, the need for lead hazard reduction, and/or having health and safety concerns.
In order to maximize the impact of this program, most clients are drawn from lists of households who are also eligible for receiving state and local Energy Assistance program services and/or City of Milwaukee Weatherization program services.
SDC hires and coordinates building subcontractors who provide moderate home rehabilitations in such areas as electrical or plumbing systems, carpentry, masonry work, etc. Households receiving these home improvements are also offered the full range of other SDC services.
Partial Eligibility Requirements:
1. Owned and occupied their property for a minimum of five years.
2. Property must be a single or two family unit located in the City of Milwaukee Community Development Block Grant Area.
3. Homeowner must be current on property taxes or current with installments.
4. Must be current on mortgage and utility payments.
5. Must be current on homeowner’s insurance policy.
6. Have not filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy in the last six months or have had a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged less than a year ago.
7. Cannot own more than one property.
8. Have not had home repair assistance through any other City-Funded Program.
9. Cannot have a daycare or any other home-based business operating within the residence.
2015 Income Limits by Household
For eligibility, home owners must have household incomes at or below 60% of the City Median Income (CMI) as of 2015.
Please see the chart below to see if you are income eligible:
||60% Medium Income
For more information and to apply:
1730 W. North Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53205
Contact Bob Falk at 414.906.2815
For other housing resources, please view the City of Milwaukee Housing Resource Guide.
SDC does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of a
person’s sex, race, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or disability.