Energy Assistance

Learn more about Energy Assistance

**Evening & Weekend appointments are available**
(only available to those who are for full-time, first shift workers or full-time students
living in a household without another able-bodied adult)

Make an appointment online

Crisis Assistance Policy as subject to change annually without notice.
SDC Employees, Commissioners and/or former SDC employees who have been employed at SDC within the last 5 years or less must be seen by a Energy Assistance Manager, Supervisor or Lead in order to have their applications processed.

Energy Assistance Checklist - What do I need to bring to for Energy Assistance?

Energy assistance provides low-income residents with utility bill payments assistance for fuel costs, emergency furnace repair and replacement, and restoration of utility services. The program provides access to the following services:

  • Regular energy assistance to help with your annual home energy costs.
  • Crisis assistance includes: retention of utility services, reconnections, oil deliveries and furnace repair or replacement. (Note: furnace repair or replacement is only available when home is owner occupied). It is offered when funds are available.
  • Referrals for other heating related services.

Please note that if you are experiencing a no-heat situation, please contact our office at 414.906.2800 during normal business. To ensure timely response you must listen to the prompts carefully.  If you experience a loss of heat after 5:00pm daily or on the weekend, please call 2-1-1.

It is intended to help pay a portion of heating costs and is not intended to pay the total annual heating cost. The amount of heating assistance benefit varies according to household size, income level, and household heating costs.

What you must bring to determine program eligibility

  • A photo ID for first time applicants
  • Proof of all income sources for  the entire household's gross income for the previous three months (i.e: unemployment, child support wages, pension, etc.) Seasonal employees will require the prior year's entire 1040 tax forms
  • Social Security numbers and dates of birth for all household members (starting Sept. 2014)
  • Current energy bill (gas/electric/oil)
  • If your heat is included with your rent: Rent certificate or statement from landlord confirming heat included in rent

What To Bring - English / español / Hmong

SDC Energy Assistance sites:
**Please note that tickets are distributed daily at each site approximately 30 minutes prior to the site opening.**

4041 N. Richards Street (53212)
Hours of Operation: Mon. - Fri., 7:30am - 4:30pm
(414) 906-2800

2968 S. Chase Avenue (53207)
Hours of Operation: Mon. - Fri., 7:30am - 4:30pm
(414) 906-2800

6848 N. Teutonia Avenue (53209)
Hours of Operation: Mon. - Fri., 7:30am - 4:30pm
(414) 906-2800

Community Advocates
728 N. James Lovel St.

For more information on locations and income guidelines refer to our SDC Energy Assistance flyer (pdf) - español - Hmong or Call (414) 906-2800.


Making a difference today, while investing in tomorrow

Copyright © 2012 Social Development Commission • 4041 N. Richards Street • Milwaukee, WI 53212 • 414-906-2700
This site is powered by Titan Hosted CMS