The Social Development Commission has a long tradition of working to enrich the lives of senior citizens, as exhibited by its Senior Companion program which began in 1974.
Join today! Be a Senior Companion.
SDC Senior Companions Help Their Elderly Neighbors by Providing:
* Escorts on walks, shopping trips, and medical appointments
* Information on other services
* Help with household tasks
Requirements to Become a Senior Companion:
* At least 55 years of age
* Unemployed or retired
* Interested in helping people
Benefits Senior Companions Receive:
* A tax-free income that does not affect other benefits such as SSI, Medicaid or rent
* Reimbursement for mileage and/or bus fare
* The chance to make new friends
* The satisfaction of helping others
Paid Training Includes:
* An orientation course to give you the tools you need to get the most out of your experience
* Monthly In-Service sessions to help you learn about resources, programs, and health tips for the elderly
For more information, please call:
414.906.2700 ext. 2779
SDC does not discriminate in its programs, activities, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of a
person’s sex, race, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or disability.